Mar 28, 2009

all time favorite video game 5

5. Tales of Symphonia (GC)
Tales of Symphonia. This game probably ranks as the biggest surprise to myself on the countdown. I think I picked this up at Shopko on the clearance rack one day because it advertised multiplayer on an RPG. Intrigued in what has been a sparse genre (especially on Nintendo systems), I purchased the game for around twenty bucks. Was it worth it? It was one of the best investments I've ever been privy to.
I cannot express enough how great this game was. I played through this game with Karen and another friend for over 60 or 70 hours and it was a blast every single minute. Only one person actually walked around the overworld and interacted with NPC's, but once the battles started it was pure kickass teamwork. Not that all of the 8 or so party members didn't have their own amazing moves and weapons, but the fact that you could time them to complete supermoves gave the game that much more of a teamwork feel.
The game had your usual quest--the world is going to end unless a foretold legendary hero can stop it--but the amount of plot twists will keep you guessing and never really sure who is on your team and who isn't. The locales are diverse and the variety of enemies, sidequests, items, and a focus on being able to cook your own meals out of a variety of elements that you can find or purchase gave the game a polished feel that created a truly immersive experience.
The game was quirky and heartening as well. As you went along your quests the game would sometimes give you "stages" at the encampments for the characters and you could go around and advance the plot within your own party as well. There was also a focus on "scenes" popping up as you went through the game and decisions you would make in these cartoon like vignettes helped establish plot and identity as well. The graphics were gorgeous, both in and out of battle, and the result of everything is that you really don't want the game to end. Luckily it won't for a good long time. I got the sequel for Christmas but haven't had a chance to crack it open yet. There's a good chance that when May hits it will be Tales of Symphonia time all over again.

I cannot stress this enough--if you haven't played this game--find a friend or two (or a significant other) and do so. You won't regret a minute of it. My favorite RPG of all time.

UP NEXT: A GAME FEATURING A DINOSAUR, AN APE, AND A LIZARD. ANY GUESSES?

2 comments:

Joe said...

I always knew you were gay, but I had no idea your homosexual genes ran this deep.

IXofSwords said...

This was a great game, but for some reason I didn't enjoy it quite as much as you did. Maybe it's because I played through it alone or because I thought the plot had just a few too many twists or something. Still, not a bad choice for your list. :)

- Justin