Feb 11, 2009

all time favorite video games 42-39

Today we celebrate mostly non-Nintendo games, and if you're a Big-N hater, you better drink champagne today, for looking ahead on the list there are only three games left for non-Nintendo systems. Actually I was just counting and there are still 16 appearances by either Mario or Link on our list! Holy crap! We've also reached the halfway point on the list. Can you believe it? Well, let us honor those games for other systems in one big hurrah...

42. Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2)
My first foray into the Grand Theft Auto series was this entry, and to this day it remains the game I hold most dear in my heart. Probably because it was my first GTA I actually did EVERYTHING there was to do in the game. The hidden jumps, rampages, packages, missions, etc. The last stage was a beast of a level with a giant gunfight that was incredibly hard even with a huge arsenal at your disposal. The unnamed main character held his own regardless of of what circumstance he was in. I have to credit Dave Mansell for getting me into this one.

41. Super Smash Bros Brawl (WII)
The only Nintendo entry for the day, and I'm probably going to receive lots of flack over how low this is on the list. Let's face it Brawl is probably one of the best games ever in terms of design. Balanced gameplay, a roster of some 40 character to choose from, Nintendo finally allowing users to play online, and more unlockables than even the most hardcore gamer will ever achieve, gorgeous graphics, and even Solid Snake and Sonic, Brawl has it all. So why so low on the list? That is difficult to put into words. If you think that I have been playing video games since about 1984 or so, you realize that my play time has been just about 25 years. Brawl is effected by this in two ways--one, I never had a core group of gamers that played this game religiously with me, and two, I just haven't played the game enough. That being said, if I ever make another list years down the road, I suspect Brawl might place higher than this...

40. Street Fighter II (ARC)
To this day when I walk in an arcade I usually only try two games. The game listed below this entry and Street Fighter. I can't stand blowing money at arcades on games I have no concept of how to win or even be good at, but Street Fighter is pretty much universal through the years. If you pick Ryu and roll the joystick down, down-right, right and press punch, you're going to hear a satisfying "Hadyuken!" If you press away and roll your joystick towards your opponent, the furious hurricane kick will be unleashed. Consistency is what always made this game a hit for me. If you knew a character well enough you could enter any arcade across the world and still at least sort of match up with someone else who was playing. This is THE TOP ARCADE GAME EVER.

39. DDRMAX: Dance Dance Revolution 2 (PS2)
When I first got into the Dance Dance Revolution craze, I was working spring break as an RA in the halls. Another friend's girlfriend was in the TV room playing and as there was little to do cooped up in the halls for a week, I gave it a try. The arrows moved way to fast, the songs were rather corny, and I had a hard time keeping balance. It was difficult. I was hooked. The sensation that was "Dance Dance Mike" lived in our house that year, and I swear to God the kid was unreal. His feet could move faster than your eyes could follow, and the brain computations that allowed him to do so were astronomical. I Dance Danced fairly heavily for a few years after this. This version of the game was special as it was not the one I learned to play on, but rather the one that I first thought of as my own.

UP NEXT: A special edition with all four, yes all four, games featuring either Link or Mario! See ya tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only three non-Nintendo games on the rest of the list? Unless those three games are Diablo II, Deus Ex, and Silent Hill 2, your list has some serious, SERIOUS flaws in it, Fleming. >:(

Cody said...

any non-nintendo games that make this list should consider themselves fortunate!